What can we help you with today?

Log in and chat with a service agent now! Check out our help button in the bottom right corner!

Alternate Connections?

Comments

3 comments

Laura M

Hi Darryl,

One way this can be done is by creating Options/Variants. For example, I created the Option for the connection to P1 which has two variants Case A and Case B. I created the variants because I want only one and one must exist. 

J1 and the connected conductors to P1 only exist in Case A, and J2 and the connected conductors to P1 only exist in Case B. In the images below I have my display settings to show the unused variants in gray. 

More information about Options/Variants can be found in the E3.series Help documentation found at Main Menu > Help > (Contents/Index/Search). 

Kind regards,

Laura Mirto

Comment actions Permalink
    Darryl Bennett

Oh, I didn't explain clearly. P1 in my example would be mated to J1 in use-case A, but mated to J2 in use-case B, not connected with wires. All 3 devices exist simultaneously in the design, but they would be mated depending on use-case, like a patch panel.

Laura M

Darryl, 

I would recommend creating multiple instances of a device P1 for this example. By creating multiple instances of the device they can be assigned to different variants. 

This must be done using the Standard Mode for Options/Variants. 

Start by defining the base design. Then select the desired variant in the Variants/Options window and the device. Open the Device Properties menu, at the bottom of the Device tab, is where you will set the default device and create a new instance of the device. This new instance will be available in the Device Tree to place on the other variant. 

Kind regards,

Laura Mirto

Please sign in to leave a comment.