How to make this type of cable harness?

Hi all,

I have previously used Altum for Harness design. A snippet of such design is shown in the picture below. I wanted to shift to Zuken E3 for harness design due to the Altum limitation for generating reports. And the schematic design (in Altium) is converted into a foamboard diagram in Excel which increases the chances of mistakes.

I have tried to make the 3 connectors of the above schematic into E3.Series. I am facing some problems regarding these issues.

1) After grouping the pins, how can I see which pins are in that particular group? I have added extra text beside the pins group to show their pins. Does there is another better way to do it?

2) After grouping and wiring, I can't assign the signal to the wire? How can I assign a signal name?  

3) If I generate a report of connections in Excel, The Pin column does not show the actual pins. How can I correct it? 

Actually my problem revolves around multiple pins connections in Zuken E3. How do people manage these things?  How do you work around this?

I will be thankful for your replies,

Suee Chi

Comments

8 comments
  • 1)  Usually you have an interconnect diagram that shows high level connections using connector pin groups and single connection lines representing multiple wires.  Then you have a schematic or pin level diagram that breaks out all the pins and all the wires. You are trying to get the information usually reserved for pin level diagrams on an interconnect diagram.

2) Signal names can be set in the Connection Table (View -> Connection Table) or can be set by opening the wire's properties from the device tree and switch to the Signal tab.

3) I'm unsure about this (works fine for me). I suggest you open a support call for further investigation.

Comment actions Permalink
  • Thanks, Mike Montalvo for clearing out my problems. 

I have made a bit of progress. And now I have some more confusion

I have made the below harness with both high and single pin drawing in a single sheet for understanding.

Now my questions are

1) Can I assign only a single wire in a single click. Because it automatically assigns multiple wires when I try to assign the wire to a grouped pins.

2)How can my display signal name be on a wire?

3) When I generate the connection report; the report is displayed as shown below. It displays every pin individually. How can the same signals pins on the same connectors be grouped together?

I will be thankful for your replies,

Suee Chi

• 2) Attribute text template

How do indent to physically connect 8 pins to 5 pins?

• Paul Bloom thanks for answering my query. Where can I find the Attribute text template? Is it the same as Template Symbol (/). Please tell the steps in which this option appears. 

Actually all 8 pins are connected to each other and all 5 pins are connected with each other.  And these junctions are connected with a single wire to each other as shown in the first figure. 

• Yes, the attribute text template are the / symbols.  Find them on the Misc library tab.

A common one is SignalGaugeColor.  You can edit that or create a new one that only has Signal.

I also thought of another way you might be able to do this.  Are the groups of 8 and 5 pins require a physical wires to "jumper" the pins together.or the grouped pins already logically tied together?

• Thanks, Paul Bloom. I found the Signal_name in the class of the Misc_Attribute text template. 

The grouped pins are physically connected to each other via a jumper. 

• Since you don't want to show the jumpers on your connection list, there is no need to show them on the schematic.  I would probably do something like this...

I did not use pin groups in E3.  The key is in the Pin Assignment for each connector device.  Here is an example of what P1 looks like...

The same >10 number in the Signal Equiv. field will logically tie the pins together in E3.  Yo can then change the name of the pin placed in E3 for whatever you want shown on the cnnection list.  The only thing is must first go into the DBE for those connectors and put a check in the boxes you see above; that is what allows you to nchange a pin name in user mode.

Let me if this works for you.

• This Pin Assignment technique does not work for me because the true identity of connector pins is compromised and there can be chance of duplicates. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.

Didn't find what you were looking for?

New post