What can we help you with today?

Log in and chat with an Applications Engineer now! Check out our chat button in the bottom right corner!

What can we help you with today?

Log in and chat with an Applications Engineer now! Check out our chat button in the bottom right corner!

Allow Multiple Wire Crimps

Comments

5 comments

• Michael Kachor
    Michael Kachor

Okay, I suspect part of the reason is I don't have a model setup for the one part that is getting connector 'pins' connected to it.  Trying to add a model to my part.

Trying to back track the example models, I am trying to do something similar, I have a junction stud that I want to connect many wires of varying gauges to, but It appears that this method will try to fill the model with the maximum number of connection points before it starts multi-crimping terminals, where we want it to do the opposite, multi-crimp first for the least amount of connectors possible, e.g., give priority to multi-crimp over single crimp.

Was this Helpful?

• Paul Bloom
    Paul Bloom

It is all based off the model, either the connector or pin terminal depending on your settings.  There is a Maximum Wire Count number that can be changed even in user mode.  You can get E3 to ignore the minimum cross-section value but will never exceed the maximum.

If there is no model, you can connect as many wire as you want.

Was this Helpful?

• Michael Kachor
    Michael Kachor

I think I got it kind of working, might have to update a few more model properties to make sure everything has the right property.

Any thoughts about giving priority to multi-crimp over single terminal per wire? Or do I just set maximum wires to something small, maybe the maximum practical number for larger gauge wires.

Ironically maximum wires varies by the ring terminals and wire gauge in use.

Was this Helpful?

• Michael Kachor
    Michael Kachor

So, once the initial wire limit of the model of the component is reached, it will start multi-crimping connector pin terminals, but if you keep adding wires, it will sort of disconnect wires as it re-arranges the pins to multi-crimp.  The wire will still appear to be connected, but it loses its connector pin terminal.  If you try to re-connect, it says "no open pins/wire size exceeded/total max size exceed" as possible reasons why it can't re-connect. 

It also gets very slow once it has to start re-arranging lots of wires, making the program hang for several seconds.

Was this Helpful?

• Michael Kachor
    Michael Kachor

Still been experimenting with this, really wish the 'allow multiple wire crimps' feature wasn't dependent 'one pin terminal  per conductor', or at least the option to have multi crimp to capacity before adding another terminal to reduce number of terminals in use.

Was this Helpful?

Please sign in to leave a comment.