What can we help you with today?

Log in and chat with an Applications Engineer now! Check out our chat button in the bottom right corner!

What can we help you with today?

Log in and chat with an Applications Engineer now! Check out our chat button in the bottom right corner!

Destination_Direct symbol

Comments

7 comments

• Paul Bloom
    Paul Bloom

Those three sample projects were most likely created by three different people using three different symbol libraries.  All three do the same thing.  Some people just prefer to see their sheet cross references in a specific way, or they each could have been using a different standard.

Was this Helpful?

• Bamia
    Bamia

Thanks. I couldn't find anything in the online help or the quicktour manual anything about a library. Oh well, another one bites the dust.

Was this Helpful?

• Sanu Warrier
    Sanu Warrier

There are multiple symbol libraries available to all users when they install their software and can be found by default under - C:\Program Files\Zuken\E3.series_2018\cdb assuming you have 2018 installed. The symbols currently available are 

• Symbols_ANSI
    • Symbols_IEC
    • Symbols_JIC
    • Symbols_All

The reference symbols will change based on which library is currently configured for use in the application. The Projects that are saved will maintain the symbology that was used to create them - until the point a new symbol library is configured and the symbols are updated in the project using the Update All Symbols command in the right-click menu in the context of the symbol tab of the library window (while in a project). 

In your case (I assume), The new project you created is based on the standard template and could be using ANSI template which would have a different symbol while at the same time the library configured could be using IEC OR JIC symbol database. 

I assume you have not gone through the database training for the application - if the company is on active support - I would recommend the E3.series gettings started guide available in the community: which has basic information about getting started. example - https://community.zukenusa.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002388194-2-Configuring-and-Managing-a-Library

Was this Helpful?

• Bamia
    Bamia

Thanks Sanu. By now I got the picture and understand that Zuken models their business very much like eplan. No manuals or any learning resources unless we pay for this and pay for that. In this case we may as well stick with eplan. I spent a few days evaluating the software and without learning resources it's worthless.

You reply was much appreciated.

Was this Helpful?

• Bamia
    Bamia

And by way and that it matters any more but both projects have the exact "libraries", templates and database opened. Best of luck

Was this Helpful?

• Sanu Warrier
    Sanu Warrier

It is unfortunate that your experience was not a good one. It is common practice at Zuken to have a technical contact to answer questions while conducting a trial - I am not sure why this was different in your case. 

Wish you all the best and hope that we have another opportunity to work with you in the future where we can have a more positive outcome.  

I understand your point that it might not matter anymore - but since we are in an open forum this discussion might help another person with the same question so here's a little more information: 

The mere opening or libraries and database does not necessarily change the project behavior i.e the look of the symbol. This is by design since we wouldn't want an older project to update without the intention to do so. The project will stay the same as to the moment it was created or completed - The only way to get the library and project to be 100% aligned would be to do the update symbols, components, and Configuration with the intention to override the previous data. For eg: The data in the picture below is referring to a wire group GXL that does not exist in the Library anymore but is still available in the project - since the project is a couple of years old. The update command usually looks at the timestamp for creation or modification of data in the library to ascertain if an update is required. The choice is then given to the user to select the desired objects to upgrade.

Additionally (this is getting into the weeds now) There are settings in the project that can still leave attributes and texts in place even after an upgrade for cases where you don't want the entire drawing to change. 

Was this Helpful?

• Bamia
    Bamia

Thanks Sanu.

I don't know if libraries are distinct from databases or you're using the terms interchangeably

I looked at the online help and followed your reply and now understand what had happened.

The sample program was created using symbols from a database that is not in my "cdb" folder but as you stated the symbols used in the project were saved with the project and though a different database was loaded when I opened the project the symbols remained unchanged which meant that I could not find them in the symbol tree and when I tried to edit or create a new symbol based on the existing one I was faced with something completely different than what was in the preview because the database opened the one it had inside it.

Basically I had no way of using the symbols in the sample projects in a new project because they were not in any of the databases installed.

You have what seems to be a great software but as I mentioned the marketing/business model zuken uses just doesn't work for us. Here are the main points of what I see as a must have:

- Easily downloadable trial versions.

- Comprehensive documentation (which zuken lacks.) to allow engineers to find answers in a timely manner without having to seek support every time they encounter an issue. That is specially important in the learning phase.

- A quick get started guide, of which you have an excellent one.

-Online knowledge base and tutorials to learn most basic and some advanced tasks.

-Discussion/Support forums again of which you have a good one and should be promoted to attract more users. Use ACAD forums as something to emulate. One google search for most ACAD problems and bang we get tens of links with the exact same question.

Your business is to develop and sell software, the easier it is to learn it the more attractive it is to a larger number of people.

Best of luck and you never know, we may reconsider it in the future.

Was this Helpful?

Please sign in to leave a comment.