What can we help you with today?

Chat with a service agent now! Check out our help button in the bottom right corner!

device attribute to change how a block symbol is displayed?

Comments

12 comments

Darryl Bennett

Post title says "Block symbol," but we need this for connector devices as well as block devices. We could even benefit from something similar for connection lines for pre-existing cables that we need to show on our drawings.

Comment actions Permalink
    Paul Guillaume

The easiest way I can think of to see a difference between old and new block/connectors is the use of options (unless of course you are already using options in your project). And of course is only feasible if you always use colored schematics.

bob larranaga

How does you or your team do this manually?

If it was just block devices, then this could be easily handled with a script (or triggered script). In action the script would gather all symbols and check the device or component attribute. If attribute is an existing device then swap out the block symbol or change its characteristic.

For connectors it would be far easier if you adopted a scheme in which the color of the pin is used to identify existing devices. If you require connectors to receive dashed outline that completely surrounds the connector as a means of identification, then the symbol characteristic approach will provide mixed results (in my opinion). The reason is that some people will intentionally show gaps in wiring diagrams between pins for legibility. If gaps are present then there would also be a gap in the connector outline. It's just the way E3 handles symbol characteristics.

If you are using Mil-Aerospace connectors symbols for wiring diagrams, then the use of symbol characteristic might be achievable by creating a new symbol set using a different base name; e.g. MilSymbol¶CONNECTOR_PIN swapped to MilSymbol|Dashed¶CONNECTOR_PIN.  The script would need to swap out symbol to a different symbol base name. The Mil-Aerospace symbols would only work if the pins are adjacent to each other. If there were gaps in spacing, then the dashed outline would also have a gap.

If you are using the connector symbols that Zuken provides; e.g. W_P, W_S, W_BU, etc, then there would be some challenges for the script developer. The script would need to determine the top, middle, bottom pins in either vertical or horizontal orientation. Once it groups the pins and identifies top, middle or end pin, it would change those pins to the appropriate characteristic; e.g. W_BU¶Dashed|Top, W_BU¶Dashed|Middle, W_BU¶Dashed|Bottom. The Mil-Aerospace is easier in this regard because the script doesn't need to identify top, middle or end pin. Again, if there are gaps in spacing then the dashed outline would also have a gap.

Darryl Bennett

For block devices, we currently just change the outline of the symbol manually via the symbol properties graphic tab.

For connectors, we are using the Mil-Aerospace symbols, and I have created a set with a new name: MilSymbol(pre-existing). We are just dealing with the gaps between the pins.

I'm interested in the scripting ideas. I've heard of the triggered scipts, but don't know where to start with that.

Paul, how would the use of options be applied to my case? We design with colored schematics, but don't currently rely on color for critical info because we might like to be able to print in black and white.

Paul Guillaume

Example with the use of Options: this is what the exisiting design would look like (2 interconnected blocks)

And this is the same design with newly added blocks/connectors:

An Option was created called "New". Display settings for Variants/Options are set as:

All newly added devices/connections should be given the Option "New". The result:

You could also work the other way round by creating an Option "Old" and assign that to all existing items and set the Options display color to gray:

But again, this is a quick solution for the stated problem ONLY if not using Option/Variants in the project.

Darryl Bennett

Thanks Paul, the Options feature looks useful. I'm trying to understand it better, since we are not currently using it. Can I set different display schemes for different options? For example, green for Option 1 and purple for Option 2?

Paul Guillaume

Sorry Darryl, that is not possible. Only one color.

bob larranaga

Last week I wrote a small script as proof of concept of changing block symbol characteristics.

Unfortunately I was unable to get it to work.

There's odd behavior with the Symbol.GetSymbolTypeName() method when the Symbol is referencing a block. It returns the block symbol name with a alpha-numeric identifier appended at the end. I'm assuming the identifier somehow prevents Symbol.SetCharacteristic() from functioning.

I submitted this as a bug to Zuken. They responded and will be looking into it.

Will keep you posted.

Darryl Bennett

Thanks, Bob. Paul, does Harness Builder create BOMs any differently depending on whether some components are assigned to option(s)?

Paul Guillaume

No idea Darryl. I don't have Harness builder nor do I use the standard E3 BOM creation

bob larranaga

Re: Harness Builder and assigned Options. I don't think Harness Builder handles Options.

Please sign in to leave a comment.